Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Yummy yarn

I do apologize to all of you non-knitters who are bored by yarn, but I just finished my first ever pair of socks! I am really proud of myself, even though they are wonky, have a few holes and one is wider than the other. But hey, at least they fit! (And yes I do have large feet!)
I used Noro Kureyon sock yarn in color S233 lot C. It is beautiful yarn but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to beginners because the fiber is so varied it is tough to get your gauge right. The pattern I used came from the book "How to Knit socks: Three methods made easy" which was very straightforward with clear directions. 


I learned to knit on double pointed needles at some knitting classes I took a year ago when I was pregnant with Lu. She is modeling here my first project, Baby Leg Warmies (which is a great free pattern  by Alana Dakos from Never not Knitting). I used Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino in light pink and carnation. I think these will be super cute this spring with her little denim dress.


 
It's becoming more and more clear to me how much I love a good rainbow.....isn't this pretty? This will soon become my guinea pig for my new crochet project. The Rowan Handknit DK cotton was recommended by my crochet muse Lucy at Attic 24 . It comes in such a pretty variety of colors, I want to order more! Just playing around with these skeins gave me the idea for the blanket I am going to make, now if only I can find some time. I'm off to drop Lucia off to visit with her wonderful Grandma and then I think I may just sneak back home to get in some uninterrupted stitching!


2 comments:

  1. Congrats on finishing your socks!!! It seems that you and I are coinciding right now...I too am working on my first pair of knitted socks, and feel more and more accomplished by the minute. So I can imagine how proud of yourself u must feel. I also made my daughter those little leg warmers to get my self use to knitting in the round, except her's are green. your rainbow of yarn looks scrumptious also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh! Love your yarns! You two have inspired me...I ordered a bunch of Rowan the other day. My plan is to make a zigzag afghan.

    ReplyDelete