Thursday, December 23, 2010

The Joy of Christmas Baking


Okay, I'm cheating a little, but I did actually bake ALL these Christmas cookies - only it was two years ago. I was in the midst of a strong burst of second trimester energy while pregnant with Lucy during a snow storm that left me stranded at home for three days. And I must've lost my mind. 
So far this year I have only been able to pull off our favorite, my Grandma's thumbprints, and I'll try to bust out a couple more tonight while Mark is out with the boys Christmas shopping (read: beer drinking). At least he'll be out of the way so I'll have something to show for my efforts instead of him pillaging each batch as they cool and leaving lots of crumbs behind!
Some of these are recipes that have been passed down through my family, and some are from various other cookbooks or websites. From the top:

1. Grandma's Pecan Tartlets (yum!)
2. Magic Bars (so easy you can't not make them)
3. Thumbprints (our fave)
4. Chocolate Peppermint Sandwiches
5. Russian Teacakes and Peppermint Snowballs
6. Chocolate Mint Thumbprints
7. Creme Wafers (our other favorite, melt in your mouth goodness)
8. Eggnog Cookies
9. Lemon Glitter Sandwiches

If you're interested in any of the recipes, just leave me an message (but make sure I can reply to it!) and I'd be happy to share - even Gram's old recipes!

I hope you all have the merriest of Christmases, full of plenty and surrounded by those you love!

18 comments:

  1. Hey Megan - what a lovely photo! My daughter-in-law is an eggnog fan and I would LOVE that recipe to surprise her! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous picture! I can't begin to imagine what goes into some of those treats. I have to ask though: What are 'thumb prints'?

    Merry Christmas! I've really enjoyed reading your blog since I found it earlier this year x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very interested in eggnog cookies and would love the recipe. I have never heard of them, but I bet they are very holiday-esque. I need to learn how to display my cookies beautifully like your two-year-ago self did because those plates look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all look delicious!
    How about a blog post for each one???
    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK, I'm with Gill - I'd love all the recipes!

    I was talking about doing a cookie exchange with some friends next year and these all look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum! chocolate and mint... my favorite combo! I'd love the choc/mint thumbprint recipe if you have time! :) merry christmas to you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd love your favorites (thumb prints and cream wafers) if you're sharing! The only thing better than sharing quilt patterns is sharing recipes! :)
    Wishing you and yours a very Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh they all sound yummy. Cooking is my other passion, so would love your recipes if that's ok. Thanks so much for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum yum yum!!! Happy baking!!!!!
    Hope you enjoy a wonderful Christmas with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. yes please on those thumbprints and peppermint sandwiches and creme wafers! :)

    mmmm!

    Maybe the glitter sandwiches and eggnog cookies too!

    yum, yum, yum. I hope you're feeling great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have me completely intrigued...I'd love the recipe for your grandma's thumbprints! We've been sick with a BAD stomach flu this week, so appetite and time have not been my friends encouraging to bake (which is good for my waistline, ha!). But I have a feeling next week I'll be able to break out the goodies. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yummy!!! I would love the recipe for the creme wafers and the eggnog cookies I hope you have a very happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas Megan,
    Have been reading your blog for a couple months now and enjoying your pickledish progress. I am amazed at how quickly you have finished it. It is beautiful and I am sooooo envious. Love all the fabrics you put in. May have to try it myself someday.
    I have to agree with some of the other commenters. A blog a day with all the cookie recipes sounds good to me. I only bake at Christmas and am always looking for new cookies to try.
    Thanks for the offer and have a Happy New Year.
    Pam in Tacoma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those look great!! If you don't mind I would like the recipe for the last three.
    The creme, lemon and eggnog

    pamroever at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need to take some sweets to my book club meeting next week. Any chance you can send me the recipe for the thumbprints (since they're your fave)?

    katechandler at yahoo dot ca

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops, apparently I don't know my email address.

    It's actually katechandler81 at yahoo dot ca

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful assortment of cookies. I would love all the recipes. Thanks for sharing your grams recipes! sdelonghi@chartermi.net

    ReplyDelete